Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Start the year 2013 with good news



     Happy New Year everyone, long weekend is finally over and it's hard to get back to reality.  Back to work again, most of people are still on their way back from their provinces.  The first news that I heard and brought me to my attention when 2013 just started was not about the count of casualties of fireworks and gun fires during year end celebration.  The implementation of Sin Tax reform bill is the very first good news that I heard when I opened my television.  

     The Sin Tax bill intends to elevate additional revenues by increasing taxes on sin products like alcohol and cigarettes.  There are lots of benefits for us from this bill.  Having high price of alcohol and cigarettes compared to the price before the bill was not yet implemented will obviously decrease the number of alcohol drinkers and smokers.  This bill will also have health effect not only to alcohol drinkers and smokers but also for all of us.  Our environment will also benefit and pollution will surely decrease.  Large portion of the revenues that will be collected would go to construction and upgrade of hospitals or other government's health programs.   The remaining portion of revenues will go to tobacco farmers’ safety nets.

     The Sin tax bill now finally converted into a law is I believe a very good start in our government for the year 2013.  I am hoping that there will be more beneficial bill that will be passed not only this year but also for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment